I'm working for HELP International as a Country Director in Hyderabad, India from May-August 2010.

May 12, 2010



Yesterday we did a bunch of boring moving type things and then went to a half sari ceremony! I believe it's a Hindu rite of passage for girls when they reach 11 years old. It's a big deal for them to own and wear their first sari. There is a more intricate full sari but I don't really know what that means yet. We were invited to go and the girl looked beautiful, the henna, the ornate jewelry, the blessings of all these plates of food, the tent on the roof, the food afterward, all were really beautiful and vibrant.


The girl sat on a crown like chair of red plush velvet as family members came up to her and sprinkled rose water and/or rice on her head. They also posed for pictures giving her plates of mango or a lot of other Hyderabadi foods.

The celebration was on a roof terrace overlooking a lot of other rooftops in the city with a makeshift tent and a very picturesque waterfall backdrop sheet. I kind of failed at the whole rose water sprinkle but they welcomed the picture taking which was really fun for me. I wish I had my nice camera for some of these, but here they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers